Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Easy Chalkboard Lettering Tutorial

Hello friends! I feel like it has been so long since I sat down and wrote a blog post. I hope you all had a great 4th of July! I had a wonderful week with my family. We took a much needed vacation to Wisconsin and stayed in the cutest lake town. I hope to show you some pictures soon of my little vacation. I did  want to share a little tutorial with you today on how to transfer any type of font onto a chalkboard. 



Way back in 2010 I bought this frame from Goodwill! I painted the back of the picture with chalkboard paint and flipped it around to the front of the frame. I have been using it to decorate for all of the different seasons and it usually stays on top of the fireplace mantel.

I really love chalkboards, but I have always had a love/hate relationship with mine because of my handwriting. You would never guess this from the girl who got the handwriting award two years in a row in elementary school. Hee hee! Anyway, you wouldn't think writing on a chalkboard would be any different. Well maybe for some people it's not different but for this girl it is!


I have really been trying to think of a way to make the lettering on the chalkboards look better. I just could not do another post with my crappy writing so in the words of Oprah I had an "Ah Ha" moment. Let's go back in time (ok not too far back) let's say a few months ago. Do you remember my library book wall tutorial? Well, I decided to use the same method on my chalkboard. 



The first thing I did was print out my saying for my chalkboard and laid it out on the chalkboard.I used the same font that I used in my Neverland sign from my book wall. I just love this saying "It is Well with My Soul". Here is a little history on the saying if you are interested in where it came from, it is actually a lyric to a hymn


After I had my words laid out on my chalkboard and marked where they were going I flipped over the paper and started rubbing the chalk on the back.


I then flipped the paper back over (words facing you) and placed it on the chalkboard. I then took a pencil and started tracing the letters onto the chalkboard. You might have to go over the letters a few times to make the chalk transfer.
(I apologize for the quality of this picture, I am a mom who has to craft after the babe is in bed)

After I had the letters traced I then started filling the letters in with chalk. A good tip is to sharpen your chalk, it will make your life so much easier.


Here is the final results. I think it turned out fairly well! The perfectionist in me wanted to go back and fix a bazillion things, but I then thought to myself I think chalk looks better with a little imperfection.


Please come back and visit me tomorrow for an awesome giveaway!

You can find me on... FacebookPinterest &  Instagram if you would like to follow more of my projects.
 
I am linking to:
Little Miss Celebration
Debbie Doos: Pinterest Blitz

DIY Show Off

Project Inspire{d} Button New
Home Stories A to Z
TDC Before and After
By Stephanie Lynn





7 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa !!! I love Chalkboard Lettering Tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea and can't wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing :)
    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute chalkboard and easy trick for lettering on them! Thanks for sharing on Project Inspire{d}.. Pinned!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know how it's done, same as using pencil on back and transferring, an old trick from way way back in time, lol. I'm not good at the lettering on signs so I've been printing out techniques like crazy.
    Thanks for sharing your technique, much appreciated. Happy week
    Guess I could use stencils but that looks so contrived for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I have not seen a post how to creatively write on a chalkboard! How ingenious!( you would be making your grade school teacher proud :-) ) I also enjoyed reading where the lyrics came from , boy if I am ever having a "bad" day .I just have to remember this strong man penning this hymn in tribute to his dtgs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I really do read all of your comments and appreciate each one of them. :)