Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pinecone Wreath

Hello! I hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend. We did some camping with our family over the weekend. It's kind of like our end of summer party! The best part is we cook everything over an open fire. It is seriously the best food and I always feel a little sad when the weekend is over. Although the thing that always gets me cheered up is knowing that it is September and that means the fall decorations start going up. 
The first thing I do whenever a season changes is change out the wreath on the front door. I like to change things up quite a bit so I am always looking for thrifty ways to decorate. This year our pine trees finally had pinecones. I have lived in my house for 8 years and no pinecones until this year. Don't worry, I wasn't going to let my pinecones go to waste so I collected a few buckets of them. I knew the first thing I wanted to do with my pinecones was to create a wreath.


I had bought this styrofoam wreath from a garage sale this summer for $.25. I spray painted it a brown color with spray paint that I had already had in my stash.


I started hot gluing the pine cones around the wreath. I tried to put the smaller ones inside and the bigger ones on the outside of the wreath. If you are a perfectionist this is not a wreath that you would want to make because the pinecones are all different shapes and sizes. I had to just place them wherever I thought they looked good. Also, it takes quite a bit of hot glue to make the pinecones stick to the wreath.


I found these teeny tiny pinecones in my yard that fell from my neighbors trees (thank you nice neighbors)! I used these to fill in the gaps on the wreath. I think they kind of look like rosettes.


Next I used some burlap and orangey/peach ribbon to attach the wreath to the door. 


I always feel so proud using things that I already have! 




Do you have any fall projects that you are working on? I can't stop myself for thinking about fall and don't even get me started on pumpkin spice lattes...love fall!

I am linking to:


Monday Funday at TWCS

16 comments:

  1. I love it, great job!!
    Coming from the link party palooza!
    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of it! Very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this! Anything with pinecones screams fall to me. This is a lovely wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that this wreath can work from fall to winter! Thanks so much for sharing your links at our "Best Of The Weekend party"! I have pinned this to our party board and to another big board too. We hope to see you again at the next party! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's simple and lovely - the best kind, plus inexpensive, the VERY best kind. I live right here in Pine-y Georgia and still have not made a pine cone wreath, tree or topiary... still on my to-make list. Love the way you layered the burlap and ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its awesome! But must admit I am a little afraid of how to tie the bow and add the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! No need to be afraid of making he bow, if I can do it anybody can do it. :)

      Delete
  7. I love your pinecone wreath and I'm sharing on my FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came out awesome!! Never would have thought to use a brown Styrofoam wreath to start with!! I so want one of these wreaths!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I really do read all of your comments and appreciate each one of them. :)