Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Updating Dollar Store Frames

It is no big secret that I am cheap and I love to find ways to make things look high end. Truthfully, I think we all have an inner-cheapness! ;)  I don't know about anybody else but don't you find the prices of picture frames ridiculous? I thought today I would share some quick and easy tips on how to update dollar store frames. 


One of the cheapest places I have found picture frames with mats is our local dollar store. I can usually find an 11" x 17" black frame with a mat for $6.00. 



And if the dollar store doesn't have the color of frame you want but the shape is right go ahead and buy the frame. You can always update it with some spray paint! I updated this picture frame for my daughter's room with some white spray paint for the frame and aqua spray paint for the mat. I love the punch of color the mat has.  


I saw this idea from Courtney who blogs at A Thoughtful Place. Have you seen the book plates from Martha Stewart office supplies by Avery at Staples. They are the perfect size for picture frames. If you want to personalize it you can create a text box in any word processing program and type in the place and year or however you want to remember the picture. 



 I have three picture frames above my board and batten wall that I painted white and added the book plates to. It is such an easy update and I love the personalized touch it adds. 




Here are some ideas that I found on other blogs that I want to try.  

Mom Advice made these dollar store chalkboards!  Aren't they super cute? I think they would be great for a wedding or birthday party.


april 2012 040 1


Melissa from 320 Sycamore blog bought these frames from the dollar store and made her own mats from poster board.


This idea from A Diamond in the Stuff is just so clever. She updated her frames with a little spray paint, added some magnets and put them on the fridge. 

I hope you have found a little inspiration today and can save a little money the next time you go buy picture frames. :) 


I am linking to:

DIY Showoff
DIY Show Off

:
By Stephanie Lynn
Suburbsmama

24 comments:

  1. These are fantastic ideas...I especially love the book plates by Martha! I'm making a gallery wall with floating shelves and I need all the idea I can get. I am finding some great prices and really cool frames at Homegoods, etc., but I'd like to make a few of my own just to personalize it. Thanks so much for the ideas!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these ideas! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of adding the book plates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of the book plates! If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/05/sunday-link-party-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever to add the bookplates ~ so stylish and easy to change out too when a picture is changed! I do love the new Martha line at Staples...I didn't see these there tho! Must. Make. Trip....Thanks for sharing at the DIY Showoff Party! =) Pin'd!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the bookplate idea! Also, the frames on the fridge look great, not messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't take credit for the frames on the fridge but I love the idea!

      Delete
  7. Wow, these look fantastic!! I've gotta try this. I’d love it if you could link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 5 blogs}
    http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/05/give-me-goods-party-7.html
    Have a great week!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing all these thrifty ideas at my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog from WIWW and I LOVE your owl framed pic - the pop of color on the mat is fab! can't wait to explore your blog more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you did with your frames and the book plates are the perfect touch! I'm in the planning process of a gallery wall and may have to borrow your idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melissa,
    Thanks for the tips, tricks and links! I'm an artist/painter, and the costs of frames and mats is out-of-this world crazy! Your post is going to save me oodles!
    Val @ artdybuildinglady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops, that should have read "artsybuildinglady"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had this pinned since you posted it and am now just getting to my art projects inspired by you:) I can't find any of those nice of frames at the dollar store, any advice on finding similarly priced that size? I have found nice framed and matted ones at ikea for 9.99ea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carissa! I actually got the frames at Dollar General. I am not sure if you have a Dollar General store where you live. I think 9.99 is a pretty good deal from IKEA. You could try Michaels or Hobby Lobby when they have sales on their frames!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Master Framing are the experts in framing in Sydney.
    We specialize in memorabilia framing, custom picture framing, canvas stretching and photo mounting.
    We have grown into one of the most competitive picture framers in New South Wales,
    offering a large range of picture frames and picture framing services.

    picture framing sydney

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I really do read all of your comments and appreciate each one of them. :)